24.3.10

DIY - Vanity is Almost Done!

Just like the weather man promised, it was a sunny day in Toronto today.  I took the opportunity to finish painting the vanity.  It still has to dry thoroughly, so it's in the garage at the moment.  The sales guy at Benjamin Moore told me that for best results, I should let the paint cure for about 1-2 weeks before I use it.  Just as well...I can postpone the necessary organization and cleaning to get all of my beauty products moved in.

Here is what the vanity looks like after two coats of paint with sanding in between.


I tinted a small portion of the paint with purple artist's oil paint, and painted the flower accents to bring them out a bit more.


I used Benjamin Moore melamine alkalyde (oil) paint.  It comes in a limited collection of colors.  I didn't like any of the premixed colors, so I bought a can of white and had them tint it their 'Antique White' color.  I have to say, I really like this paint.  It went on well with a foam roller and did not leave any bubbles.  It went on more streaky with a paint brush, I think because it's so thick.  So I say, edge with a brush, but then switch to the roller.  There were subtle roller marks at first, but they faded away as the paint dried. 

The paint dries to a non-shiny semi-gloss. And even though oil paint is a pain to work with, I would definitely use this paint again, especially on kitchen cabinets or other furniture that takes some beating.  I like the quality, the durability and the finish.



Oh yeah - and I ended up getting drawer knobs at Anthropologie today.  These beauties were the clear winner:


I can't wait to see it all together.  And I'll be sure to take lots of pictures of the finished product.

For the full story, check out the rest of PROJECT VANITY.



2 comments:

C'est La Vie said...

wow this looks fantastic!! Love it, and your blog is super cute :)

Girly Tomboy Extraordinaire said...

thanks so much! it's still drying, but I can't wait to put all of my makeup in it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails