9.3.10

New to Makeup Series: Basic Face - Products to Get You Started


Click to Enlarge

This is a great day to day look that I often use to get me out the door quickly - my take on the five minute face.  It will not make you feel like you've overdone it - just accentuate your features in a few easy steps.  And the best part is that you can apply almost everything with your hands - only one brush required!

~ Start with a well moisturized face.  I really like Bioderma Sensibio Light (my review).  Apply lip balm.

~ To even out your skin tone, I recommed a mineral makeup.  It's easy to apply, feels light and looks natural.  To apply swirl a kabuki into the product (more on kabuki brushes I like), shake off any excess and buff into the skin in circular motions.  As a starter, I rcommend MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural.  It has a light to medium coverage, comes in a nice compact (as opposed to loose powder) and it's easy to get matched to the right color by the sales associate.  I also like Everyday Minerals, but it's tricky to find your shade.  I do not recommend Bare Essentuals because it contains the irritant bismuth oxychloride, which made my face itch like it was on fire!

~ Fill in any gaps in your brows with an eyebrow pencil.  Maybelline Define-A-Brow works well and is cost effective.

~ Apply a thin layer of cream eye shadow to your lids up to the crease with your finger and blend edges with q tip or clean finger befor it sets.  A neutral golden tone works well for me.  My favorite is MAC groundwork paint pot.  Benefit also has some great creaseless cream shadows.

~ Add a light highlight to the inner corner of the eye, top of your cheek bone, and under your brow.  I love Benefit Eye Bright or Benefit High Beam.  Just dab onto the skin and blend with your fingers.

~ Line the eyes as close to the top lashes as possible with a brown eye liner pencil.  Don't be afraid to be messy.  Then smudge out with a q-tip.  Only line the bottom lashes 1/2 way for a natural look.  I love Prestige Waterproof Liners - creamy, easy to blend, last all day and CHEAP (can be found at most drug stores and Ulta).

~ Finish eyes with mascara.  Make sure you start application at the base of the lashes.  I love Maybelline Lash Blast in Black.

~ Dab some cream blush on the apples of your cheeks and up towards your temple and blend up towards the temple.  Start with a little bit and add if you need to.  Dab some cream blush on your lips for some color.  I love Bobbi Brown's Pot Rouge in Powder Pink for a natural flush.

~ Finish with some gloss or more lip balm to moisturize lips - Burt's Bees is my fave.

And VOILA! You're done!

Let me know how this worked for you.  What are your favorite neutal colors?  What's your everyday quick makeup look?  How long does it take you to do your makeup in the morning?

Stay tuned for the next installment - makeup tools.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails