3.3.10

New to Makeup Series: How I Got Started

All my life I have been surrounded by women who do not wear any makeup.  I have had many questions about makeup from the tomboys in my life.  The first one being, where do I start?  I didn't start wearing makeup until I was in grad school, so I know where these women are coming from.  Not only is the vast selection of makeup intimidating, a girl who never wore makeup is not going to feel comfortable with a full face of bold colors. 

I learned my first regular makeup 'look' at a Mary Kay party.  The consultant is a good friend, and an excellent makeup artist.  She picked out the right shade of foundation for me, and the colors she chose for the rest of my face were very neutral and did a wonderful job of accentuating my best features.  I ended up spending quite a bit of cash on makeup that day, and walked away with the medium color foundation and a 'look compact' of three eye shadows, a blush, a lipstick, and two stubby little makeup brushes.  Add mascara and I was good to go.  10 minutes in the morning to a brand new, more polished me.  And the best part?  I got so many complements on how I looked good, even though most people couldn't figure out what I had done differently!  WOW!  I loved those products, and used them regularly for about a year before I started to branch out into other brands and colors.

I realize now that I was one of the lucky ones.  I have since heard countless accounts of 'professional' makeovers which made somebody look like a clown.  If you have seen the movie The Truth About Cats and Dogs, you know what I'm talking about.  As such, I will be doing this series as an intro to makeup.  So if you're a tomboy like me, or someone who wants a more polished look, or you have a special date or event, stay tuned.  And feel free to ask questions!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails